University of the Ryukyus Repository >
Faculty of Education >
Bulletin of Faculty of Education University of the Ryukyus >
No.53 (1998/10) >
|Title ||:||Smoking Habits and its Effects to Health Among the Middle Aged and Elderly in Okinawa|
|Authors ||:||Taira, Kazuhiko|
|Authors alternative ||:||平良, 一彦|
|Issue Date ||:||Oct-1998 |
|Abstract ||:||The purpose of the present study is to examine the relationship of smoking habits to health status of elderly in a long life span area.
Ohgimi Village in Okinawa prefecture was selected as the study area because of long life expectancy. Interview were performed for 765 inhabitants aged 68 years and over.
The result obtained are as follows :
1) Current smokers were observed in 48.2% of males under 75 years and 33.6% of 75 years and over.
2) Although current signs of respiratory tract disease were observed in around 10% of males and below 5% of females, no significant relationship was found between these signs and smoking habits.
3) The history of respiratory disease were observed in 19.4% of males. The rate was two times higher than that of females. These histories were more common in ex-smokers than in current and non-smokers.
4) The level of competence of removal decreased with advancing age. The decline was more common in ex-smokers.
5) The health status measured by self-rated reporting was better in current smoker, especially in females of 75 years and over.|
|Type Local ||:||紀要論文|
|Citation ||:||琉球大学教育学部紀要 第一部・第二部 no.53 p.327 -335|
|Appears in Collections||:||No.53 (1998/10)|
Files in This Item: